The name Beaulieu is derived from the Latin ‘Bellus Locus Regis’ meaning beautiful place of the King. The estate and the river has been in the Montagu family since the 16th Century, with the current Motor Museum being built in 1952 a must for all car enthusiasts.
With entrance to the Motor Museum access is also included to Palace House, which was originally the Grate Gatehouse for the monastery, the abbey ruins and current abbey, which was the monk’s refectory. Beaulieu Abbey was founded in 1203-1204 by King John for the Cistercian Order. The Abbey Church, Cloister and Chapter House were destroyed during Henry VIII’s Dissolution of the Monasteries sadly demolished, but the Refectory, Domus and two Gatehouses were allowed to remain as long as they were converted to secular use, these buildings and ruins are well worth a look today.
The village itself is home to residents and a diverse range of shops. As you walk through the village you will notice that some of the doors are painted red, denoting that they are part of the Montagu Estate. As you drive out of Beaulieu in any direction you will pass posts with the three red diamond insignia denoting the boundary of the Montagu Estate.
The village centre is a short walk from Parsons Mead with a range of shops that include:
– Abbey Stores: General groceries and bakery
– Norris Shop: Gifts
– Paper Shop: Sweets, Newspapers and Magazines
– Beaulieu Fine Arts: Selling Art by local artists
– Chocolate Studio: Chocolates and Ice Cream
– Blossom and Belle: Flower Shop
– Fairweather Garden Centre: Plants, Gifts and Steff’s Café
– Beaulieu Hair and Nails: Hairdressers
Village eateries include Steff’s café at Fairweather Garden Centre, Monty’s and The Montagu Arms.
Parsons Mead sits in an exceptional setting, on the banks of the Beaulieu River and with far-reaching southerly views. The accommodation includes a wonderful drawing room with large bay window to make the most of the views, together with French windows opening onto the south facing terrace. There is a dining room with a log burner, kitchen/ breakfast room with an Aga, utility room, scullery and cloakroom.
Additionally on the ground floor is a cosy study with access through to a self-contained one bedroom annexe. The annexe offers superb flexibility with a kitchen, sitting room and a double bedroom with en suite bathroom. It can easily be incorporated into the main house, used as guest accommodation or rented out to provide a supplementary income.
Upstairs there are five bedrooms and three bathrooms – the larger two bedrooms have en suite bathrooms and are at either end of the house enjoying the magnificent river views. The bedrooms at the rear of the property enjoy views over the cricket pitch and towards Beaulieu Abbey Church. At the top of the house, enjoying wonderful light and views is a further room, currently used as a art studio.
There are immaculate lawned gardens leading down to the river, as well as mature planting and established trees. Parsons Mead has a pontoon as well as a slipway, where boats can be moored and launched at high tide. There is also a side gate through which one can make the short walk along the river into the pretty village of Beaulieu without having to cross Palace Lane. Adjoining the gardens is a field used by Beaulieu River Sailing Club, so the view is filled with sails during the summer months.
Acreage: 0.64 Acres
Living in Beaulieu
Beaulieu, as its name suggests, is beautiful. This village is a jewel of the New Forest, sitting prettily beside the River Beaulieu with Palace House, the seat of the Montagu family, as backdrop. This is an estate village which has been in the keeping of the Montagu family for 477 years. Today Beaulieu is familiar worldwide for the National Motor Museum, but the village attracts visitors, too. It has a quaint High Street of smart independents in pretty brick and timber-framed period properties, including art gallery, chocolate studio, floral designer, plus gift shops, tea room, village stores, garden centre, community garden and the village school (rated ‘good’ by Ofsted).
Beaulieu is also home to Beaulieu Garage (specialising in classic and vintage cars) and Terrace Restaurant at the Montagu Arms, the only restaurant in the New Forest to hold a Michelin Star. Along the road towards picturesque Hatchet Pond is Beaulieu Organic Farm Shop.
As for property, there are some good-sized period country houses, while Dock Lane, which runs alongside the river, is considered one of the most prestigious addresses in the Forest with a selection of stunning architect-designed modern builds.
- 7 Bedrooms:
- 4 Bathrooms:
- 4 Living Rooms:
Waterside Perfection on the Beaulieu River. A stylistically beautiful classic residence set in river fronting grounds, with a pontoon as well as a slipway, where boats can be moored and launched at high tide. Adjoining the gardens is a field used by Beaulieu River Sailing Club, so the view is filled with sails during the summer months. Energy Efficiency Rating: FSave Property
Spencers Brockenhurst Office
- 01590 622 551
56 Brookley Road